Good teaching, like any other profession, requires continuous improvement in order to create the best experience for students and faculty. A small investment of time and energy will help faculty develop as a professional, regardless of the modality in which they teach. The smallest of efforts can lead to BIG impacts.
Teaching online is still a relatively new method of delivery when compared to teaching in person, here are a few things to consider to improve the experience:
- Use a RSS feed or email to subscribe to articles related to teaching and learning
- Seek out best practices be used by other faculty members – ask what others have done
- Read books and consider joining a book club that reviews effective strategies to be used with students
- Enroll & participate in workshops that are offered by your institution or technology vendor
- Get Help – ask for student volunteers to help run discussions, manage technology, and assist other students that may have questions
Pursue your own professional development as a commitment to yourself and student success. Sharing what you have learned with other faculty and your students will not only engage those involved, but will also energize you.